Graphic Designers are definitely considered as the new and unconventional artists of the new era. The above quotation is from Susan Kare. She is one of the very first pixel artists, designed the first icons, typefaces, and interfaces of the Apple Macintosh.
This career is highly in-demand nowadays, attracting entry-level Jobseekers to venture out in this career path. (see Top 7 Milwaukee Jobs You Can Do Remotely in 2020). In fact, the majority of the population who are working as Graphic Designers are freelancers.
In this article, we’ll give you a brief overview of what these professionals are about, including the Job Description and Requirements which will guide Hiring Managers to identify the best fit for their team.
1. Job Overview
Basically, Graphic Designers also referred to as a graphic artist, are described as those who use images and texts from simple company logos for branding, to marketing materials, advertisements, and more. The majority of their projects are popularly used in social media which aims to catch the attention of the audience.
They are usually part of the design team, as well as the Content Team which works alongside Copywriters and SEO specialists. Predominantly, their skills are equipped for industries such as specialized design services, publishing, or advertising, public relations, and related services industries.
2. Job Description
Below is the list of Duties and Responsibilities of a Graphic Designer:
- Expected to use typography and color theory in their designs
- Will need to make use of Design Elements and Visual Concepts in projects
- Design web pages, brochures, logos, signs, books, magazine covers, reports, marketing advertisements, and other communication materials depending on the client and industry you ‘re in.
- Meet with clients to assess how they want their proposed communications to look like.
- Illustrate ideas and concepts using pictures, and designs to reflect the desired theme and tone of the communications.
- Produce drafts for review by clients and make revisions based on the feedback received.
- Review final productions for errors and ensure that final prints reflect client specifications.
- Obtains approval of concept by submitting rough layout for approval.
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending design workshops; reviewing professional publications; and participating in professional societies.
- Working on budgets, resources, suitable materials to use and the deadlines to meet
3. Job Specification
- Bachelor’s Degree in fine arts, graphic design, industrial design, interior design, or related field,
- Strong Written and Verbal Communication skills
- Has efficient Time-management skills
- Years of experience as a web designer or graphic designer will be an Advantage
- Has a strong portfolio that demonstrates creativity and originality.
- Demonstrated design skills and artistic ability
- Profound Experience in using Graphic Design Softwares such as:
- Adobe Indesign
The competition for these job roles will be difficult since a lot of job seekers are looking forward to be part of this industry.
Skills are taught but the drive and motivation to succeed is priceless and should be considered in the hiring process.
I hope that this article will be able to guide Hiring Managers who are in need of these professionals.
Below is a list of Goodreads to help you either land on your dream job or find the perfect candidate:
Hire The Best Graphic Designers With Ease