Tired of accommodating Scheduled Interviews?
Worn out in reviewing countless applicants and yet, can’t seem to find the right one?
In this article, I will give you some key items to consider in hiring one of the most in-demand remote jobs in 2020-software developers.
With the discovery of the internet back in the ’80s and the continuous development of technology, it paved the way for most of our professionals to work remotely.
Because of the persistent search of innovation, as well as robotics and automation, software programs made their way towards popularity nowadays, making software development as one of the highest-grossing remote jobs in the US. (see Top 7 Milwaukee Jobs You Can Do Remotely in 2020)
With the overwhelming interests of our job seekers in being part of this industry, it is important for our managers to identify the perfect one to fulfill the role. Here are the 4Ease(4E’s)to consider in the selection of candidates.
It is generally believed that Education is essential for success. It prepares the individual for their career growth and progression. The same thing applies to professionals such as our Software Developers. Below are the usual educational requirements to look out for:
- Any Bachelor’s Degree or technical background specializing in any of the following:
- Information Technology
- Computer Programming
- Software Engineering
- Computer Science
- Certification programs for Operating systems and Networking Basics
2. Experience and Expertise
Having an exemplary education is useless if there’s no application, as the saying goes:
“Knowledge is power but knowledge without action can be useless.”
In this regard, below is a list of qualities, skillsets, or employment qualifications that will set the bar high for the other applicants.
- Logical Thinking & Problem-solving
- Mathematical aptitude
- Accuracy & Attention to Detail
- Communication skills- verbal and written
- Microsoft Excel- used for database and spreadsheets
- Technical skills-Experience in using different software applications and computer software
- Has experience in working either as a System Software Developer or as an Applications Developer
We must first set the candidate’s expectation based on the Software Developer Job Description you have prepared and list of specific tasks you wanted to be accomplished. Below are some common roles and responsibilities that they should be amenable to work with:
- Writing and testing codes using development tools
- Creation of models or diagrams (such as flowcharts) that will show programmers the software code needed for a specific application
- Collaborating with other developers or computer specialists to create optimum software
- Document every aspect of an application or system, as well as its development process as a reference for future maintenance and upgrades
- Execution of Software development life cycle(SDLC)
4. Engagement and Work Etiquette
It is really hard to gauge the level of interest, drive, and motivation of each candidate. This is usually being evaluated during the interview, focusing more on situational and interpersonal questions. Here is a list of Question ideas that will help you assess a good candidate:
- Knows how to interact and collaborate(relationship with previous colleagues, any conflicts with teammates)
- Resilient and flexible to changes(Change of Schedule, Work Volume)
- Has the initiative to develop one’s self(Willingness to learn, Receptiveness to feedback and constructive criticisms)
- Aspirations and Career path(The likelihood of staying in the team- except for contractual and freelancers)
- Integrity and compliance(upholds company regulations and guidelines, history of sanctions or corrective/disciplinary actions)
With the tremendous number of applications through job postings and job search, above is a list of guidelines that will help Hiring Managers find the perfect fit for the role.
As a perk, below is a consolidated Job Description and Job Specification in hiring the best Software Developer for your team:
- Designing and developing software systems using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcomes and design consequences.
- Collaborate with the team and other necessary departments in evaluating software-hardware interfaces and develop specifications and performance requirements.
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing software
- Gather and evaluate user feedback, then recommend and execute appropriate improvements.
- Create technical documentation for reference and reporting
- Responsible for testing and deploying programs and systems
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, Information Technology, Mathematics, Physics, or related degree.
- Years of experience in being a full-stack developer and understand concepts of software engineering
- Has in-depth background with a variety of software development projects as an ADVANTAGE
- Has years of practice in the field of programming language knowledge.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, as well as, proficiency in verbal and written communication skills.
- Has a quality of resourcefulness and troubleshooting aptitude is a MUST
There are definitely a lot of potential candidates out there who are just waiting for a good opportunity. Your focus should depend on what your company needs. What you need is a good contributor that will lead your organization to success.
Below is a list of Goodreads to help you either land on your dream job or find the perfect candidate:
The Perfect UX Designer Job Description For Hiring Managers
The Perfect Data Scientist Job Description For Hiring Managers
Hire The Best Software Developers With Ease